- Two college students have been killed and three different folks have been injured when a 16-year-old gunman opened hearth at his California highschool on Thursday, authorities stated.
- The shooter was in “grave” situation and was being handled at a hospital after capturing himself within the head, stated Capt. Kent Wegener of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Division.
- Wegener stated the weapon was a .45-caliber semiautomatic pistol that had “no extra rounds in it” by the point authorities discovered it.
- He added that the motive for the capturing was unclear however that Thursday was the suspect’s 16th birthday.
- One pupil instructed Insider she arrived at college to see crowds operating away. “That may ceaselessly scare me and all my friends,” she stated.
- Go to Insider’s homepage for extra tales.
Two college students have been killed and three different folks have been injured on Thursday when a 16-year-old gunman opened hearth at his California highschool then shot himself within the head, authorities stated.
Capt. Kent Wegener of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Division stated that first responders arrived at Saugus Excessive Faculty in Santa Clarita round 7:40 a.m. and found six college students with gunshot wounds within the quad.
A type of college students was the suspect, who was in “grave” situation however was being handled at a hospital, Wegener stated. Wegener stated Thursday was the suspect’s 16th birthday.
Wegener instructed reporters that the motive for the capturing was unclear. He added that the suspect’s girlfriend and mom have been on the sheriff’s station talking with detectives.
A 16-year-old lady and a 14-year-old boy died. Their identities have not been launched.
Wegener stated the weapon was a .45-caliber semiautomatic pistol that had “no extra rounds in it” by the point authorities found it.
‘That may ceaselessly scare me and all my friends’
Melissa Santillan, a 15-year-old sophomore, instructed Insider she arrived at college round 7:40 a.m. to the sight of crowds of scholars operating away.
She stated she and her pals nonetheless do not know who was shot.
“All my pals get to highschool early, and I known as my greatest pal, and all I heard was him operating for his life, saying he was OK and he was operating to security,” Santillan stated. “That may ceaselessly scare me and all my friends.”
The Santa Clarita sheriff’s division stated there was only one suspect.
Los Angeles County Undersheriff Tim Murakami stated every student on the faculty can be interviewed earlier than being launched to their mother and father.
“We have to conduct a radical investigation,” Murakami stated. “Why each pupil? They may both be a witness, present essential details about the shooter or a potential motive.”
Images and movies confirmed college students evacuating the constructing, holding their arms above their heads.
The Santa Clarita sheriff’s division stated some surrounding colleges have been locked down after the gunfire broke out.
Native information shops aired aerial footage of a number of police autos surrounding a close-by home, which authorities confirmed was the suspect’s.
Saugus Excessive Faculty, about 30 miles northwest of Los Angeles, had 2,441 college students enrolled throughout the 2017-18 faculty 12 months and employed 94 lecturers.
The White Home instructed reporters on Thursday that President Donald Trump was monitoring the state of affairs and inspired these within the Santa Clarita space to comply with authorities’ recommendation.
It is a creating story. Verify again for updates.