Good morning! That is the tech information it is advisable to know this Monday.
- Apple Card is dealing with a proper investigation by Wall Road regulators over gender discrimination allegations made in a viral tweet. Internet programmer and creator David Heinemeier Hansson shared on Twitter that he was supplied 20 instances the credit score restrict of his spouse, and when he confronted customer support representatives, they had been dismissive of the difficulty.
- Jeff Bezos reportedly referred to as Michael Bloomberg and requested him if he would run for president earlier this yr. Based on Recode, Bezos requested Bloomberg the query after the collapse of Amazon’s plans to construct a second headquarters in New York Metropolis earlier this yr.
- Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi stated Jamal Khashoggi’s homicide was ‘a mistake’ by the Saudi authorities, and defended his agency’s ties to the regime. Khosrowshahi later clarified to Axios in an e-mail that Khashoggi’s homicide was “reprehensible and shouldn’t be forgotten or excused.”
- A dozen present and former workers stated car-leasing agency Honest’s unconstrained development was its undoing, after the SoftBank-backed firm burned by way of practically $400 million in 10 months. Insiders advised Enterprise Insider the startup employed individuals it did not have jobs for and acquired hundreds of thousands of in stock it misplaced observe of.
- Fb is dealing with allegations of ongoing racism and discrimination amongst its workforce. Staff have been sharing and discussing an anonymously authored weblog submit that alleges racism on the firm has gotten worse over the previous yr and quotes what it says are 12 present and former workers on their experiences, Enterprise Insider has realized.
- Fb has rejected calls to ban political advertisements on its platform forward of a normal election within the UK on December 12. The corporate advised journalists that it wished to permit politicians and candidates to talk to voters by way of paid advertisements — and that it will not fact-check their claims.
- Baby porn runs rampant on huge tech platforms regardless of detection and prevention strategies, in response to a New York Occasions investigation. Huge inconsistencies throughout tech corporations and platforms in addressing the fabric go away gaping holes that pedophiles and criminals simply exploit.
- Scorching AI startup UiPath’s job cuts had been triggered after it burned money quicker than anticipated and missed its income goal, in response to an inner doc. UiPath’s third-quarter annual recurring income totaled $296 million, beneath its goal of $343 million, in response to the presentation.
- Amazon’s video streaming service Twitch is bleeding its hottest stars. Common streamers together with Ninja, Shroud, and King Gothalion have left the service.
- Silicon Valley corporations are placing inner worker newsletters on the partitions of loos stalls to achieve employees whereas they poop. Firms like Fb, Google, and Yelp are all sticking up newsletters, memos, office coaching drills and different vital messages for his or her workforce on the partitions of bathroom stalls, making certain employees can study extra in regards to the enterprise whereas they do their enterprise.
Have an Amazon Alexa system? Now you’ll be able to hear 10 Issues in Tech every morning. Simply seek for “Enterprise Insider” in your Alexa’s flash briefing settings.
It’s also possible to subscribe to this text right here — simply tick “10 Issues in Tech You Have to Know.